Waihi Borough Council Diamond Jubilee Booklet 1902-1962
Mr and Mrs W. H. Ross arrived in Waihi in 1895 in a caravan and camped in it for some time because frame houses were so scarce. Mr Ross established his business as a tailor at the corner now occupied by Wong's fruit shop.
Mr Ross was a member of the Waihi Improvement Committee being particularly active in the endeavours to form a borough. His brother, Mr A. Y. Ross, who had previously been assistant Town Clerk at Gisborne, took a prominent part in this, being responsible for the final and successful petition. He later became a councillor and originated the Literary and Debating Society. Mr Ross was a talented musician and his gifts of penman-ship caused him to be called upon to execute any illuminated addresses which were required for presentation.
Mr and Mrs W. H. Ross were members of the Burns Club and the Dramatic Society, and Mr Ross being a vocalist, was a member of the Liedertafel and the Minstrels. With Mrs Ross as his accompanist he frequently sang at functions. About 1903 he took up land at Rama Rama, later purchasing a block at Whiritoa. At this time the only access was a narrow bridle track and Mr Ross battled for a wheel road from Whangamata to Waihi.
Mrs Ross always retained a home in Waihi and maintained her interests in many organisations. The Plunket Society, of which she was the only foundation member who was still a member, presented her with a certificate recording her 30 years' service. The W.D.F.F. awarded her a Certificate and Life Membership Badge, and the Women's Institute made her an Honorary Member. During the war Mrs Ross usedtoride or drive the ten miles into Waihi to give her helpaspianist for patriotic purposes.
Mr and Mrs W. H. Ross had six children, one son still being at Whiritoa and one in Waihi, as are Miss V. M. Ross and Mrs L. P. Wheeler J.P., who has followed in the footsteps of her mother, giving yeoman service to many worthy causes.