Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 3, April 1965


During a visit to Waitekauri I inspected the New Waitekauri Gold Mining Company's Battery and Mine. The Plant, which embraces 40 head of stamps, and practically all other equipment required for the treatment of ore, was purchased by the present company from the old Waitekauri Company for £1,500, a very low figure, as the original cost must have been upwards of £30,000. Beyond a few minor adjustments everything at the Mill is in readiness to receive the quartz from the Mine, 10 head of stamps having been put into working order for immediate use, whilst an additional 10 head can be got ready in a few days should they be required. The Mill is driven by water power and the supply available far exceeds the requirements of the Company: in fact, power could easily be supplied to any other plants that may be erected in the district. The Company's purchase also included a large quantity of timber and other material, part of which is being used in connection with bridge building, tramway construction, etc., whilst the balance will be found useful as work at the Mill and in the Mine proceeds. The tramline and bridges from the foot of the aerial tramline to the Mill are nearing completion, and on the upper section some 1600 feet of cutting has been done, the lines laid a considerable distance along it. A matter of a couple of months should see readiness for crushing operations. The aerial tram will effect a considerable saving in the cost of transit of ore from the Mine to the Mill. By the time crushing commences the whole of the plant will have been paid for and the Company expects to start milling clear of debt. This being so they should be nearly in a position to carry on operations on a profitable basis to share-holders, provided development work in the Mine discloses sufficient pay ore. The Battery is under the charge of Mr. B. Gwilliam, formerly in the employ of the Talisman Consolidated Company at Karangahake.

Up to the present, work in the Mine under the management of Mr. A. Newdick has been largely of a preparatory character, such as the timbering up of drives, cleaning out passes, etc., together with a little rising and driving on the ore bodies, but immediately the outside work is finished more men will be employed underground, and a fair start will be made to take out quartz for the Mill. So far, about 100 tons of likely-looking dirt has been paddocked or tipped into the hoppers at the Horne level. Some 1600 feet in from the mouth of the drive a rise has been put up for about 40 feet on the footwall of the Waitekauri lode.

(Note: Much ore was treated for some years with 20 head of stamps running three shifts).