Print
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 4, September 1965

As a result of findings by the Royal Commission set up to enquire into serious flooding in the Thames Valley after a record flood in 1910, the Waihou and Ohinemuri Rivers Improvement Act was passed by Parliament. This initiated in 1911 the establishment of a permanent Field Office in the area, at first administered from Auckland. Temporary premises were found in the wheel alignment section of the building which is now the premises of L.F. Dick Ltd. in Normanby Road.

After prolonged negotiations between the Public Works Department and the Postal Dept., it was agreed that the old Post Office Building at Waitekauri should be dismantled, transported and re-erected on the present site of the Ministry of Works Office. This was not accomplished quickly and it was not until 1917 that the P.W.D. moved in. Additions were later effected, electricity being installed, and extra land purchased for yards. But substantially the old kauri building is intact and easily recognisable after some 80 years of use.

A succession of Engineers (from Mr. Young 1911 to Mr. Lancaster 1963) and staff planned and executed major work, such as the building of the Stop-banks which have been of such tremendous importance to Paeroa. The subject provides matter for a very interesting article, and it is hoped that someone with the requisite knowledge will write it and deal with the present activities of the M.O.W. and of the Hauraki Catchment Board which now acts as agent in regard to the Waihou and Ohinemuri River Scheme.