Print
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 11, May 1969

MR. LIONEL ADAMS M.A.

is a member of an old Tauranga family. His father, John C. Adams, came there in 1876 after working in the goldfields. He was a builder by trade and a Mayor of the town for some years after the First World War. Lionel was born there and took up teaching. He graduated in Auckland and spent most of his scholastic life in Gisborne, retiring to the family home in Devonport Road to live with his sister after his retirement. His hobby, as well as his professional subject, is history and he has made a particular study of the history of Tauranga and the Bay of Plenty. Much of his interest in the Maori aspect no doubt stems from his father who was a personal friend of Robley. Lionel has a fine collection of the artist's original works which were gifts to his father. He joined Tauranga Historical Society in 1957 and was president for six years, afterwards being given a life membership. He was responsible for much of the organisation for the Gate Pa battle centenary celebrations and was instrumental in getting the present memorial erected on the battle site. At present he is preparing a map of the district giving locations of Maori pas and is collaborating with Dr. J. Robertson (Kawhia) on research into the voyages and arrival Matua-Atua canoe which the Maoris claim landed near Whakatane in 1350. His ambition is to see a museum in Tauranga, for he feels that if such a project is too long delayed many artifacts could be lost forever.

A sister of Mr. Adams was a highly respected resident of Waihi - the late Mrs. E. A. Clark, who died last year. She was the mother of Freda who gives such yeoman service to our Historical Society and of Rusden and Albert, all chemists, as their noted father was. We extend to them our sincere sympathy in the loss of a mother whose unfailing good humour, and unassuming kindly nature endeared her to all. Her enthusiasm and organising ability not only inspired confidence in others but also persuaded then to get things done. Other sisters were the late Beryl who taught at the Waihi South School and the late Olga, M.Sc., who taught at the High School, at Waitaki G.H.S. and was H.M. at Takapuna Girls Grammar and was on staff at Auck. T's. Trg. Coll. (Truly a talented family!)


MR. FRED HUBBARD

the youngest son of the original family, trained at the Cadet School at Oamaru as a Telegraphist and later spent some years in Wellington. At the outbreak of War he joined the Army and served Overseas in charge of Signals with the 9th Reinforcement. He was wounded, awarded the Military Cross and sent back to England. Later he returned to farming on Hubbards Road, where he now lives in retirement, always having taken a great interest in local affairs, and for a time being a member of the Ohinemuri County Council. A keen, participator in Athletics he won many trophies as he did as a member of the Rifle Club. This year, at the age of 8l he and Mr. Frank Ryde (84) have won the Paeroa Bowling Club Pairs.


MR. LONGLEY

who now lives in Auckland, spent 25 years as Chief Engineer at the Taumarunui Hospital after leaving Waihi. He has always been a keen banjo player and relates an incident which is linked with Waihi where he became acquainted with Sel Duncan, sax-player, who later moved to Taumarunui, and formed a band in which they played together. Last year when Sel died suddenly, Ernie Longley took his banjo with him when he left to attend the funeral. He was able to take his friend's place in the band that Saturday night, thus keeping up Sel's tradition of never letting his clients down.


MRS. THELMA CRIMMINS

(nee Clarkin) was born in the district and after an absence of some years returned in 1928 when she married the late Bill Crimmins the eldest son of Maurice so well known as a Coach driver. A very public spirited person, she has been the Paeroa representative on the Thames Hospital Board for the last 10 years.


MR. ANDREW ROBINSON

received his primary education at Waihi East School. While at Waihi High School, he attended classes at the School of Mines under that well remembered tutor, Mr. A.H.V. Morgan, M.A. While doing practical mining he gained a First Class Mine Manager's Certificate and was appointed shift boss at the mine. In 1939 he left for New Guinea as Mine Manager at the Edie Creek mine. New Guinea Goldfields Ltd., transferring later to Misima Island as Mine Superintendent. After being evacuated during the war, he returned to the Waihi mine and later to State Coal Mines. In 1962 he was appointed Inspector of Mines and Quarries, (succeeding the late Mr. A. E. Waite) with Headquarters at Palmerston North.


MR. NORTON WATSON

was born in Eltham, Taranaki and grew up on farms in the Waikato, living for a time at Hinuera, and later at Te Puninga (where your Editor taught him 50 years ago!) He moved to Tahuna in 1938 and later married Miss Betty Seed of Hawera. While at Tahuna he took an interest in school matters, being successively secretary, and president of the PTA and Chairman of the school committee. In 1955 he wrote the history of the Tahuna District for the Jubilee booklet. He has studied New Zealand history fairly intensively for the past twenty years and has written a number of historical articles including one, on the early history of Te Puninga, which appeared in the Auckland-Waikato Historical Journal, and a poem on the "Thames Valley" and some light satire has also been published. Since 1962 he has lived in Hamilton being on the staff of the Lands and Survey Dept. He is a member of the Waikato Museum Society, of the Waikato Historical Society, and is an office bearer in the Methodist Church.