Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 16, June 1972
CAPTAIN DUNCAN McARTHUR was in the employ of Clendon & Meuller (Solicitors) of Paeroa, and subsequently in the office of the Crown Mine at Karangahake. In 1904 he married MISS AMY HUBBARD of Komata and after living in Mackaytown for some months the young couple moved to Waihi where they remained for 16 years.
In spite of alarming road communication the two towns had strong links even before the turn of the century. The OHINEMURI COUNTY with headquarters at Paeroa had been formed in 1885 and during the years 1893 - 1901 its Chairman was MR. H.P. BARRY who was SUPERINTENDENT OF THE WAIHI GOLD MINING COY. (1880-1913). Moreover "Gold duty" helped to finance roads.
It is now 70 years since Waihi became a BOROUGH at that time the largest one in the North Island. The election took place in April 1902 and the first Mayor was MR. WALTER PHILLIPS who lived in Paeroa but had a business in Waihi. In 1903 MR. McARTHUR (Senior) was appointed BOROUGH ENGINEER for Waihi. The following year his son Duncan became Chief Accountant for the Grand Junction Mine which reached its peak in 1914. It was the second most important company in the Waihi area. In 1920 Mr. Duncan McArthur was appointed Secretary/Manager of the newly formed Te Awamutu Power Board and lived there till his death in 1955.
MRS. AMY McARTHUR, now 93 years of age, still lives in her Te Awamutu home and is the only surviving member of the original Hubbard family of Paeroa. The youngest of these distinguished pioneers - MR. FRED HUBBARD M.C. died last year. He was pre-deceased by his brothers John, Arthur, Walter, (father of Colin Hubbard), Dick and his sister Edith (Mrs. Jim Reid, late of Netherton and Puke Road) whose sons Arthur and Jim continue to farm in the district.
(In Journal 11-Page 34 [see Journal 11: Hubbard Family of Paeroa (1890 -) - E], we recorded Fred Hubbard's story and that of his family who had settled at Komata in 1890. In 1908 the land was divided into 5 sections and Hubbard Road (between Thames Road and Puke Road) was put in for access).
Fred's early career took him away from farming. He joined the staff of the P.&T. and trained as a Telegraphist. As a first lieutenant he left N.Z. in charge of Divisional Signals in World War 1, was wounded and awarded the Military Cross. On returning to Paeroa he took up farming. A very successful athlete in his youth he continued to be interested in all sport and public affairs. He was deservedly respected by everyone.