Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 16, June 1972
Spearing's Stationary Limited of Waihi celebrated its Golden Jubilee recently. The business began on April 5, 1922, when Mr. J.R. Spearing bought the Central news agency from Mr. J. Walters and leased what was the old Thames Miners Union hall.
Spearings has provided the district with the New Zealand Herald daily newspaper and the local newspapers ever since it began business. It has looked out for the farmer's interests by handling the rural delivery over the same period. This now involves about 200 papers. The building was originally built when Thames miners needed a hall in the early 1900's. Then Waihi miners built their own hall at the site of the present Memorial hall and the Thames Union began letting its old building for shop use.
Spearings bought the building in the 1950's. For 40 years the business has been under the careful management of Mr. W.E. Ludwig who began as a paper boy soon after Mr. Spearing bought the agency. Mr. Ludwig became manager in 1932. After his long association with the business Mr. Ludwig can look back over a career of newspaper distribution which for this district alone has handled millions of copies.