Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 37, September 1993
Pipiroa celebrated its founding with a get-together on Sunday, 4 April, 1993. Settlement began on 18 May, 1918, with a Ballot for land near Thames. Many names of the original settlers are still on the letter boxes, now second and third generation families. Pipiroa was a desolate place in 1918, the area had clay roads, no fencing, no grass, no homes but lots of mud.
The first settlers purchased sheep and cattle at Land and Survey Department auctions and to get the animals to their farms and keep them on their own patch proved a mammoth task. An auction of sections for the town of Pipiroa was carried out but, from 41 sections offered only five were purchased and these at £50 each. Access was mainly up the Piako River then later by ferry across the river until a bridge was built.
Schooling was originally set up in Mr Harris' cottage until a school was built in 1922.
The Country Women's Institute brought the women together. They entered into all facets of the organisation. During the War, food parcels were sent to the troops overseas.