Print
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 39, September 1995

WAIHI CENTENARIES: The Waihi Gazette reports that there will be 17 Waihi organizations celebrating their centenaries over the next decade. Hopefully the Journal will be able to record these events.

CONNIE HARPER: Mrs Harper, the Patron of the Waihi Historical Society, held a party at the time of her 80th birthday early in 1995. She intended it to be a "thank you" party to thank all those people and organisations in Waihi who had given her so much help and enjoyment over the years. However, she had the tables turned on her when the organisations and friends instead took the opportunity to thank her for her years of support and service. Representatives from the Presbyterian Church, Historical and Museum Societies, Summer Festival committee and Waihi Women's RSA were there to pay tribute to Connie's dedication to their organisations.

JEAN SCHAARE: The granting of the Hauraki District Council Good Citizen Award to Jean Schaare in October 1994 was the first in Waihi. In 1993 Jean was awarded a Rural Agricultural Society Suffrage Centennial certificate. The 1992 Journal [see Journal 36: Waihi Citizens' Ambulance Society - E] recorded Jean's involvement with the Ambulance Service. She has also been associated with children's and community activities, athletics, netball, football, Hack and Hunters, Maramarua Hunt Club, Waihi Agricultural and Pastoral Show, boys' and girls' agricultural clubs, Sunday School, Girls' Brigade and has been involved with the Waihi Summer Festival Committee for 20 years.

NETHERTON STORE: At the end of June 1995 the Netherton Store closed because of competition from supermarkets. The last proprietors, Fred and Colleen Parker have run the store for the past 20 years. The present store at Netherton was built by Jim Kidd about 40 years ago for the original owners, Audrey and Gordon Fulton. It was then sold to Tom and Margaret Sexton and then to the present owners. A petrol bowser was added in 1972 and home delivery of groceries was continued until 1981.

TELEPHONE PARTY LINES: Last year it was reported that the last party lines ceased in July 1993, but a reader has reported that partylines are still operating in the Tapu area.

PAEROA POST OFFICE: The Royal Coat of Arms on the Paeroa Post Office was painted in early 1995 and, according to Paeroa resident, George Highton, this is the first time the coat of arms has been emblazoned since the building was opened in 1926. The post office is classed as an Historic Building with the Historic Places Trust and a lot of research went into getting the colours of the coat of arms right.

OLIVER HARE: Mr Hare, the author of the article on page 12 of this Journal, died in March 1995. Mr Hare was a member of the Paeroa Historical Society.

OLD HOUSE DEMOLISHED: An old Paeroa house built around 1870 was demolished early in 1995. Many people have lived in the house, the last resident being Clare Fennell. Her late mother, Mary Fennell, was a member of the Paeroa Historical Society's committee for many years. The house, although having some features of historical interest, such as hand made nails, was in poor condition.

MURALS: Katikati is known for its murals depicting the history of the town. The first three murals were completed during the summer months in 1991 and since then 15 more have been completed. The next to be started will be a 16 metre long mural on the Katikati RSA building.

In Paeroa a mural has been completed on the Paeroa RSA building. It was painted by Cassandra Andrus and has been admired by locals and visitors alike. Cassandra also painted the mural alongside the Paeroa Museum.

FRANK SHARP: Frank Sharp, a former resident of Paeroa, who was widely known throughout New Zealand, died in early July 1995, aged 77. He founded the Paeroa Harrier Club in 1943 and revived the Paeroa Amateur Athletics and Cycling Club. In 1944 he was one of a group who founded the Paeroa Indoor Basketball Club and was also assistant secretary of the Paeroa Golf Club. After leaving Paeroa about 1950 he continued his involvement in sport and in 1986 was awarded the OBE for services to sport.