Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 46, September 2002
FAMILY HISTORY IN PRINT
By Maureen McCollum
The book, "Our Ancestors, Hewson & Innis" was written over a period of some years by author, Ernest Alexander from Pukekohe, and launched at the ancestral farmland now owned by a grandson, Rex Innis at Wharepoa, Hikutaia, in April 2002.
Around sixty members of both the Hewson and Innis families were present, the oldest, ninety year old Jean (Morrison) Allen from Auckland, Dudley Troughton (Innis) from Turua and Audrey (Innis) Billing from Auckland.
The youngest member present was eleven month old Briar Petrie (Morrison) from Hikutaia.
The author, Ernest Alexander, was born in Hikutaia. His parents owned property at Ferry Road and the canal that runs through this area was named after his grandfather, Alfred Alexander.
Ernest attended Hikutaia West School, then Hikutaia Primary, followed by secondary education at Thames High School. He joined the Royal Air Force in 1938, at the beginning of the Second World War. After the war he became a reporter and established his own newspaper, The Frankton County News during the mid-1970s. In 1996 he was awarded the Queens Service Medal.
The first Innis family member, Arthur John arrived at Wharepoa in 1865. It was during this period that the family name changed from Ennis to today's spelling. He bought one hundred acres from John Elliot and this land still remains with the family at Wharepoa and is one of the highest producing properties in the area. He married Anna-Maria (nee Hewson) on 24 December, 1877. This marriage produced sixteen children. Arthur and his wife Anna-Maria are buried at Omahu Cemetery.