Isdale on Owharoa
Alistair M. Isdale B.A. October, 1996.
In this detailed account of very early Owharoa, but including Karangahake and Waitekauri, Isdale covers the years to early 1878, using contemporary reports from the Thames Advertiser newspaper, and possibly also the Thames Star.
Presented below is an abridged version, concentrating on mining activity.
The full document is available here (pdf, 46 A4 pages, 400kb).
With the kind permission of M. Grafton and J. Isdale.
- 5 June 1876 Morning Light battery (two stamp) at Owharoa started
- 3 August 1876 Karangahake Gold Mining Company's battery with 12 head of stampers started
- August 16 1876 Wick’s battery of nine stamps on Mangakara Creek starts
- August 30th 1876 Waitekauri battery starts
- November 1876 Mr Dunlop built the first timber bridge across the Ohinemuri at Owharoa.
- January 9 1877. Perry’s battery of 20 stamps at Owharoa starts