The upgraded battery was opened on 4 April 1896, so the building shown here may be two years old. The taller section would house the 40 stampers. Note the brick chimney of the smelthouse. The Ohinemuri River is between the foreground vegetation and the building.
The high wooden flume is bringing water from the Waimata Stream, dropping it down a large diameter pipe to the turbine at river level. The large turbine pipe can just be made out near the left hand end of the large wooden flume. The much smaller flume in background may have been the terminus of a Mangatoetoe water race.
The Mangatoetoe stream channel, coming in from the left, has been dammed with a wooden structure, and appears to be holding tailings (saved for future processing).
Courtesy M. Roycroft.
Silverton Battery Site