The Waihi Borough rubbish tip post dates 1942 as aerial photographs of that date show no tip. Henk Bange suggests it was started in the late 1960s, and continued until the Bulltown Road tip was opened (late 1970s?).
A playing field covers this site now, created when spoil was spread here in the late 1970s or early 80s.
Rubbish is clearly seen in the banks of Mill Stream below Speak’s Quarry, and rubbish still makes its way into the quarry from the top of the bank at the edge of the field.
Speak’s Quarry was spared from also being filled with rubbish, probably because there was a plan to display the Mayclair collection of mining artefacts removed from the bush of the Coromandel. Also the stream was conveniently diverted through it.