Karangahake School and District 70th Jubilee 1889-1959
On December 7, 1957, Karangahake was en fete for the official opening of its new hall. Over 400 people from as far afield as Auckland, Hamilton and Rotorua, gathered to celebrate the biggest community achievement since the mining period. The hall had been tastefully decorated with flowers to enhance and not detract from the very attractive contemporary colour scheme. Bunches of balloons added a festive air to the novel ceiling effect. From beginning to end the evening was one of healthy, happy enjoyment and friendly, sparkling conviviality. The official opening ceremony commenced with Mrs N. S. Donaldson's reading of the verse she wrote especially for this auspicious occasion, after which Mary Cotter presented the lady guest of honour, Mrs A. E. Kinsella, with a spray of pink carnations. Mr J. Cotter, chairman of the Hall Committee, welcomed the official party and traced the history of the building of the hall from the planting of the trees some 60 years ago on one of Karangahake's heights. He then announced that the oldest resident, Mrs Ritchie, was 83 years old that day and she was presented with a spray by Pauline Henry. Other speakers were Mr W. Crosbie, on behalf of the old identities, Mr W. H. S. Browne, riding member, and Mr H. R. Morrison, county chairman. Mr A. E. Kinsella, member for Hauraki, then officially opened the hall and he and his wife led off in the first waltz. The Havills' Orchestra, truly one of our most prized assets, did an excellent job throughout the evening and a delicious home-made supper was served by the local ladies.
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 8, October 1967
By the late Courtenay Kenny
In the year 1877 the first trig-stations in this district were established by a Government Surveyor named J. Baber, and one of these was fixed on the sharp peak of Karangahake (1786 feet). There were others on most of the prominent mountains, notably Te Aroha, which were not less than five miles away. These are called Primary Stations. The lines joining such points form a network of large triangles over the whole of New Zealand.
Childhood at Turua
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 45, September 2001
By Dorothy Bagnall
My sister, Helen, and I were born at Turua on the Hauraki Plains. Turua had been the Bagnall home since the 1870s, when George and Martha Bagnall and their family, who came to New Zealand from Prince Edward Island, Canada in 1864, took over the Hauraki Sawmills under the name of Bagnall Bros and Co. The family moved there from Thames in 1879 and our father, his three sisters and all but their youngest cousin were born at Turua. The kahikatea was worked out by 1919, the mill closed and most of the Bagnall families moved away, mainly to Auckland. The land was drained and made good farming country.
Waihi Municipal Water Supply Dams
Waihi Borough Council Diamond Jubilee 1902-1962
By O. J. MORGAN
Waihi is indeed fortunate in having an abundant supply of water so near at hand, yet for many years after a town had been established most households drew their water from backyard wells or rain water tanks. By having the "rights" on all the suitable streams, from which water races were constructed, the mining companies made a waterworks impossible. This state of affairs, however, weighed heavily on the Waihi Company's conscience, for it allowed some water to be pumped from its holding ponds into a small reservoir at the top of Martha St. This was reticulated in the central area of the town, while the hospital was allowed to draw from the Waitete water race near Hollis' bush.
Greyhound Coursing in Waihi
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 22, June 1978
By Colin Huon and Bob Caundle
A greyhound was originally called a "gaze" hound because of its exceptional sight and this was one of the reasons that the Pharoahs [Pharaohs – E] of Ancient Egypt used them for hunting some thousands of years ago. The use of the greyhound as a hunter and domestic pet persisted through the ages until, during the eighteenth century, the Earl of Orford, an eccentric to say the least, decided to cross the pure gazehound breed with bull terriers because in his opinion, the gazehound breed was becoming too inbred and losing its "masculinity" - whatever that meant! Up to this stage gazehounds had always been either grey or white and the introduction of the bull terrier breed created the "brindle" colour which is relatively common in todays dogs.