This GIS presents geographical elements of our heritage, with emphasis on mining heritage in the greater Waihi area. Material has come from old maps, 1942 aerial photographs, old texts, GPS and foot survey. Development is on-going. You may have information or edits you would like to share?
Note: the map canvas reports in WGS84/Pseudo Mercator (EPSG: 3857).
You may view the map in a larger window at https://qgiscloud.com/Waitete/Ohinemuri_GIS. A special mobile version will load if you are using your phone, which, with GPS enabled, will allow you to walk through the mapped features.
The areas and features covered include:
- The early mining remains in Waihi: ore tramways, firewood/timber tramways, water power supply dams and their water races, Waihi Battery on Union Hill, the Silverton/Union Battery site, mine shafts, the government railway, and more.
- Waitekauri mining features
- Early routes, roads and tracks
- The Victoria Battery at Waikino
- Talisman Battery in the Karangahake Gorge
- Legal roads
- Department of Conservation Public Conservation Areas
- Aerial Photographs
- New Zealand Topographical maps